Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World

I purchased this today with some of my 32nd birthday money, but I like to think of it as a gift to myself.

Early Saturday morning, I'm taking the subway to Penn Station, and then Amtrak to visit my sister in Washington, D.C. I'll settle into my seat with a nice big cup of coffee on what will no doubt be a perfectly crisp fall morning, and maybe when the train stops and the cool air drifts in, a little steam will roll off the top of my cup. I'll be reading Michael Lewis's latest with my knees up against the seat in front of me, enjoying the fact that this is my life, educating myself about the global financial meltdown while on my way from one global city to another, a girl from Bradford, Pennsylvania, taking trains up and down the east coast like some sort of European or something, like it's nothing.

No comments: